Lidingö has a great cultural heritage. Grave fields from the Iron Age and runic inscriptions from the Viking Age show that the island has been inhabited since 600 AD.
For almost 300 years, Lidingö was part of the Djursholm Estate. In 1774, the island was separated from Djursholm, and the 25 manor farms were sold to wealthy Stockholmers.
Approximately 30 years later, in 1803, the first bridge to the main land was completed,and the island successively developed from an agricultural community, supplying milk and fish to Stockholm, into a modern residential area. In the middle of the 1800s, many summer visitors were attracted to the island , and several summer houses from this era still remain.
Lidingö´s present-day character developed over large parts of the island in the beginning of the 1900s. This is when the residen-tial districts were founded,and property developers offered “a healthy lifestyle, outdoor recreation and contact with nature". Lidingö became a merchant town in 1910 and received city status in 1926.
Modern Lidingö came to be with the establishment of the bridge connecting Ropsten and Torsvik in 1925. At the end of the 1940s, blocks of flats were built, and urban density increased. As a result of the improved transport links (in 1971, a terminal station for a subway line opened in Ropsten, and the larger bridge was inaugurated), the population could grow to its current size.